Friday 22 May 2009

emma, #3



















oil on canvas, framed

. . . and i never frame anything. this was the third large-ish painting - basically life-sized, the first close-up below is the EXACT size - i did of the lovely emma after two colour pieces specifically FOR her to choose from, before giving her both.

this one i did for myself, and though the three are very similar i like this one best partly because there's a little more feeling in it somehow and i think i'd fnally gotten a grasp of the pale fleshtones and blonde hair which i'd initially found slightly awkward after years of painting the reliable contrast of dark hair and light skin.

granted a little artyistic license means both are a little darker in the painting than the subjects own hair and skin, but. . .

i love this piece, i'm proud of it and happy with it enough that i put it in a frame. granted it's a bastard to photograph and the close-ups are a better representation of the colours than the first image, however. . .

it paved the way for everything that's been coming lately. the drawings, the 'ode' series and other stuff in the works that you'll see. soon enough. . .





4 comments:

  1. Color! Gah...! So. Hard. To paint. In color. I find at least.

    Her skin and hair look amazing. I really like the range of colors in her skin, from almost white, to deep pink, to those subtle touches of blue or gray or whatever you used to neutralize the shading around the eyes and neck. In contrast, the solid-color coat or cardigan is a nice, unique touch.

    Definitely a very special painting, technical accomplishments aside. Her look is soft, sincere, and open. The choices you made (or you both made) are... nice, just really nice. Eyes forward, mouth relaxed, not a hint of artifice. Your treatment feels genuine.

    Super awesome work, Iain. And it looks great framed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find words to say how much I like this but I can't. It's really beautiful and that IS Emma to a T. Beauiful, Iain, I see why you're so proud of it and you should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair is very good. I like how dewy the skin looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much as you know. One of these days I might sneak it under my arm and pinch it from you to go with the others. ;)

    And here I thought when I first asked you to paint me you might say "No". :P

    ReplyDelete