Friday 21 May 2010

Drawings 2010, 3.

continuing the year's earlier stuff, these three - more finished looking - drawings are from around the end of february, three variations on compositions i was playing around with, the first of which should look familiar. these three are among my favourite pieces of that period and were more focused breaks from all the loose drawings, and time-consuming paintings. . .

there are all A3 sized and thus, are represented by photographs rather than scans. #11 proved the hardest to photograph because of its very subtle shading here and there, so, bear that in mind. the other two are good representations of the actual pieces though. . .

it should also be noted that straying out of my trusty A4 scale was kind of a big deal for me. . .



11.























remember winter drawing #2? this is a progression ON from that, one of a series of variations and my favourite of the bunch, though there's another less stylised. this one has the subtitle 'freewheelin'', and if i have to explain that *shakes head* give yourself a slap.

this was another step into incorporating more of a background into the image i was producing. there was a lot of messing about drawing very loose building compositions with no figures in that led up to the likes of this, which i like. the other two drawings here are less busy, obviously . . .

there's a painting similar to this to come.


12.























this one, i love - it's kind of an 'iain image' if ever there was one. what i mean by that is that there are images emma says are instantly recognisable as my work by compostion and feeling as well as style, and i think this is one of those.

i like lots about this, i think it works and the likenesses are both really good, as i think is the division between dark and light areas of the image, and the poses. as someone who draws but is his own worst critic, this the kind of image you do five or six drawings for the 'that's okay, that's fine' pile to get to.

side-note: i can't take credit for the stray feathers falling from those great, dark oily wings - those were emma's idea. she does sometimes HAVE these little insights and ideas that i just wouldn't think of for one reason or another, so, credit where it's due. . .

and it's probably unsurprising for me to tell you that a painted version of this is currently 'work in progress'



13.























you can kind of tell this one was drawn around the same time because it shares a lot of linear and tonal qualities, though again it's quite different in feeling to #12 i think. . .

i like this one a lot too. side-note, remember what i was saying a couple of entries ago about emma's hair constantly changing length and that being a kind of artistic license? this is a good example - i deliberately made her hair shorter in this image so that the lovely area where her the back of her neck and shoulder meet and the dark hollow between her jaw and shoulder would be open to the eye. look at the drawing and try to imagine hair obscuring that area and you'll perhaps understand WHY i do these things. the drawing just wouldn't be the same without these little details. the same could be said of the neck on #12.

not that i have a thing about necks. . . . okay, i do, i admit it

*shrug*

i sometimes wonder in posting this stuff if it will be positively recieved, not because i don't think it's good, but because i'll be the first to admit my work has become utterly self-indulgent in the last year, moving away from very anonymous figure compositions and into, well, capturing the woman i love in one way or another and not really doing anything BUT that. i mean you kind of know when iain posts new work, it's not going to be anything other than another visual love letter to the little blonde spitfire, but. . .

i can live with that. i am happy with the stuff i produce, and i long since gave up being someone who paints FOR other people. art's not my career, it's something i do out of a compulsion to express feelings i have about the things around me with meaning, and those things within me that can't be expressed with clumsy words.

if nothing else, it's honest. . .

anyway - that's all for now. next - some more painting. . .

7 comments:

  1. Aw...the first one reminds me of that Bob Dylan "Freewheelin" album cover. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah-ha! nothing gets past you, nancy drew :P

    the painting has emma on the left and the two figures are more huddled looking - it's even mroe reminiscent of the album cover :)

    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it. It's so warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as if saying "I love these" like I do every time you post is getting redundant. :/

    I do though and these are three of *my* favourites too! I've always thought the second one to be really great likeness. One of your best!

    I can't wait to see how the painting unfolds! :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are AMAZING!!! I love the way you draw people and do hair

    Agree with Emma. #12 looks really like her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The background in #11 is beautiful and so is the rest. I'm just so impressed to see you working more with backgrounds, buildings, streets. It really gives those pieces a sense of time and place, which is nice for us now, and (I know this, being similarly nostalgia-obsessed) will be nice for you in the future, too.

    I completely agree with Emma about #12. It's "Iain." Trademark composition, attention to detail, and I love the way you render faces. It always catches my eye - it's just your style. I like the strength of your profile (remniscent of Emma in Winter Paintings, 2) - there's something sort of iconic about that pose - paired with Emma's softer, more sedate half-profile.

    #13 is also really nice. There are little things that I love, like her neck, her hair, and the tension in your right hand, as opposed to seeing it just sitting there. I will say - your work is being received positively by me. I don't even have to tell you WHY in my own words, because you said it yourself: you're "moving away from very anonymous figure compositions and into, well, capturing the woman I love." Come now! Think about that and turn your argument around. Honesty, sincerity, and meaning - and working with personal subjects - is far, far more endearing than anonymity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've told you I LOVE these before but it's still dead nice to see them posted! #13 is so tender and sweet but #12 is my fave: It screams 'Iain' :P

    It's a really good picture of Emma too! :)

    ReplyDelete