Saturday 27 March 2010

Winter, 2.

Alrighty then,

Much delayed follow up to that last post, mostly procrastination on my part and the usual headaches, literal and otherwise.

Again, these are a mixed bunch. Selections from the big pile - Some sketches, some little more than doodles and others more refined than a lot of the preceding stuff I'd been churning out. Variations on repeated themes and images, further attempts to incorporate more of a background as well as full figures into images. Again, some of these images show up in later drawings and at least one painting, more refined. Those you'll see, in time. . .

You can view these as a continuation of a period where I was back enjoying the simple process of sitting and drawing without ever getting critical about what I was doing. Just taking my time, trying things, seeing what I could come up with. . .



9-11.

Like #5 & #6, these are a rough ink drawing that serves as kind of a try-out or rough for - i this case - two pencil drawings, variations of the same poses and composition, though both feel very different, emotionally speaking. These are two of four or five, incidentally. This was an image that I was a little obsessed with capturing in JUST the right way, and these two drawings are essentially my favourites of the bunch.







































12 & 13.

Again, same concept - Pen drawing and then a more refined second drawing, in this case done in a mix of pen and pencil. While still fairly rough, as with #10 & #11, I love the resulting image, the composition, the feel of it. It says what I want it to say which no amount of finnickiness ever could.




























14.

There's almost nothing to this sketch, but I love it. Real indie comic book splash-page composition.


















15.

Again, there's pretty much nothing to this small doodle. And it is little more than a doodle. But again, I love it. A more polished, finished painted version of this composition I'll post at a later date.
















16.

Done around the same time as #15, again there's very little to this one. It was just an idea, an image I had in my head I wanted to get down on paper. I like this. It's not great, but it looks unlike anything else I've drawn and has a certain dynamism to it that I find appealing.
















17.

Again - imperfect, but I love this image, and it's one I'd had in my head for a long, long time but never put down on paper before this, but which I went on to do more versions of. Yes it's a little goofy, and the birds are stylised rather than realistic, but. . . *shrug*
















18.

Another Sharpie begins its slow death with this one, which I utilised by using the smudgey inklessness to express texture, using a new pen on parts like the coat to make them stand out. This, again, is an image that spawned variation after variation but again, was me pushing myself to include architecture, perspective and whole figures. well, at least ONE. I'm extremely fond of this one, particularly the depiction of Emm which I think is one of the best I've done of her.
















19.

And #18 could be said to have spawned this drawing, another favourite of mine. I love this. Again, it's not perfect but I care very little about perfection anymore.

Emm, Edinburgh, Forbidden Planet - a very full drawing with a background, foreground and even stuff in the middle. Architecture, at least one full figure - shadowy or not - This was sort of a breakthrough. The beginnings of one, at least. Through which much of my long lost confidence started to slowly rebuild itself.

None of which would have happened without all that had happened in the weeks before, I think. I don't know. . .















. . . More next time.

6 comments:

  1. There's not much I can say about these I haven't already: I love every one of them.

    Some of these are favourites of mine too- Even the doodly ones.

    You say so much with so little sometimes but you can still switch back to your old more realistic style when you want to. You don't just have one style- That fascinates me.

    I love your work, Mister.

    Post more in the morning! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome sketches, Iain. It's so good to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, arlene :)

    and thank you, emm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so good but I LOOOOOOVE #18!!! :P

    Your drawings of you and Emma are so tender and sweet. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all pretty awesome. I love the composition and details in 13, like the pictures on the wall behind the couch. 15 looks promising and also totally adorable - I can't wait to see the painted version.

    I agree with you about 16. It has this really cool sense of movement and energy that I haven't seen from you before, and it looks great on the page.

    I LOVE 17. Especially the long bird in profile on the outside of your left arm (viewer right) for some reason - his expression is almost comical. In the way that some birds just stare, unblinking, surely thinking very complex thoughts about birdseed, shiny things, string. You might like the cover of one of my favorite albums, Rook by Shearwater... http://tinyurl.com/y8kokka

    Finally, 18 and 19. Excellent work. I like the way you've been incorporating buildings and full figures and really pushing yourself. The results have been super. I've commented on 19 before and still really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #13: i ♥ her pouty, sad expression and your hand on the back of her head, comforting her.

    #14: is so "i'm cold and cranky!" i don't know what about it is so charming, she's like a little mouse in it!

    #19: the last sketch of her in front of Forbidden Planet is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete